Business License Instructions
Business License services are available online. If you have questions, feel free to email us at businesslicense@TemeculaCA.gov.
- *Massage Permits cannot be submitted online. All Massage Permits must be mailed to City Hall.
Once you have read through this entire page, you may submit your business license paperwork online by emailing businesslicense@TemeculaCA.gov. Do not email payment information. We will send you an invoice via email.
|Located Outside the City||$39|
($35 registration + $4 AB1379 fee)
|Located Inside the City 1||$39|
($35 registration + $4 AB1379 fee)
|Nonprofits or Veterans1,2||$4|
($4 AB1379 fee)
1This does not include required fees for occupancy, construction permits, massage permits or outside agency fees.
2501(c)3 documentation or DD214 required
($35 reg. + $4 AB1379 fee + $20 home occ. fee)
|Nonprofit or Veterans1||$24|
($4 AB1379 fee + $20 home occ. fee)
1501(c)3 documentation or DD214 required
Expiration, Renewals & Late Fees
- All Business Licenses expire on January 31, and it is the business owner’s responsibility to renew the license.
- All business license renewals received after January 31 will be assessed a $15 late penalty fee.
- Any business license renewals received after March 1 will be assessed a $35 late penalty fee.
- License fee is non-refundable and not transferable.
Steps to Obtaining a Business License
Step 1 - Research
- Read through Resources to Open a Business to determine what type of permits are needed for your business.
- Contact any agencies required for your business before filling out the business license application (i.e., State Board of Equalization for your Sellers Permit, Health Department if handling food, Alcoholic Beverage Control if selling alcohol, etc.).
- Door-to-Door Solicitors will need to fill out the business license application, and bring this application to the Police Department when they apply for a solicitor’s permit. Police signature approval is required on the business license application form. Contact the Temecula Police Department (Old Town Storefront) at 951-506-5130.
Step 2 - Download the Application
Download the appropriate Business License Application Packet (PDF) located on the right margin. This is a PDF document, so you will need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to access the Business License application. If it is not already installed on your computer, make sure you download the Reader before you try downloading any PDFs.
Step 3 - Gather and Provide Information
- Fill-out the application completely. Missing information will delay the processing and issuance of your license.
- Carefully review and attach all required documents that pertain to your business.
- Make sure all forms are signed.
- Non-profit organizations, please submit your 501(c)3 or proof of non-profit status, this will exempt you from the $35 registration fee, so you would only pay the $4 state fee AB1379.
- Veterans exemption (from the $35 fee) requires your DD214.
- If you are operating a business located inside the city please contact:
Describe your business operations in detail on the Statement of Operations Form (PDF) and:
- If you are operating a business from a commercial address located in the City of Temecula, a Certificate of Occupancy (PDF) is required if your Business is new, relocating, changing ownership or business name resulting in a change of tenancy and are proposing no tenant improvements. Please see the Certificate of Occupancy page for additional information.
- If undertaking tenant improvements, demolition, or other construction to the location, please contact the Building and Safety Department for your permit(s).
- If you are opening a business from your Temecula residence, please fill out the Home Occupation Form (PDF) as this registration is required. Please submit the Home Occupation Form with your business license application. There is a one-time $20 fee for this permit.
Step 4 - Submit Online or Via Mail
- Submit your application with the correct Business License Registration fee (detailed above).
- Mail applications should attach valid checks & an applicant's US Government issued picture identification
- Online applications should include the application (we will email an invoice to pay online at TemeculaCA.gov/CSS). Do not email any credit card information.
- If an applicant is sending an authorized agent to submit their application, they will need the letter authorizing them to do so or an alternate, notarized letter from the business owner indicating as such.
Submit Your Business License Online -
Purpose of a Business License
Anyone doing business within the Temecula city limits is required to have a license; see Temecula Municipal Code Section 5.04.030, "Certificate Required."