As California’s climate continues to become hotter and drier, residents are encouraged to adopt a culture of conservation, using water efficiently and saving for the long-term. Your water district, Rancho Water, is also working on innovative projects and programs to address the long-standing water crisis and provide a water secure future within our region.

For current water supply news, conservation tips, and water regulations for your area, please visit RanchoWater.com.

Thank you for your dedication to creating a water-savvy community.

Rancho Water Save Water


Individual homeowner rebates are available through the Rancho California Water District or the Eastern Municipal Water District (depending on your service provider).

Water Saving Tips

Visit the Save Our Water website to find great water saving tips you can use every day.

Individual Homeowners

The City does not review landscape changes for individual homeowners. Please consult with your Homeowners Association (HOA) (if applicable) prior to making alterations. Note that projects that require building permits (for walls, gas lines, electrical work, etc.) will still need to obtain the proper permits through the Building and Safety Department.

Commercial Property Owners & Owner Association Maintained Areas

All commercial property owners and Owner Association Maintained Areas are required to submit landscape modifications to the City. The City is offering an expedited process and reduced fees due to the drought circumstances.

Steps to Starting Your Modification

  1. Develop typical landscape plans and irrigation plans conforming to the City’s Water Efficiency Ordinance and the City’s approved plant list.
  2. Complete a Minor Modification (Planning Review Only) Application (PDF) and pay fees. Note: 3 copies of the typical landscape and irrigation are required for the Minor Modification Application as well as a signed and completed application.
  3. Work with the City’s landscape consultant to address issues prior to construction.
  4. Upon approval, start installation.
  5. After installation the City’s landscape consultant will inspect your modifications.

Submittal Requirements

The submittal requirements for the Minor Modification Application are as follows:

  1. Fill out the application (PDF) (and make sure the property owner has signed the application).
  2. Provide 1 typical landscape plan.
  3. Provide 1 typical irrigation plan.
  4. Provide 3 sets of the above plans.
  5. Bring a check with the correct fee amount (please see the above fee section for additional information).
  6. If you are a new landscape business in Temecula, please make sure to obtain a city business license.


  • Plan review will take 5 business days.
  • Inspections are scheduled after installation.


Please contact our staff to obtain the current fee schedule.