The past few dry years have taken an enormous toll on California's water supplies and more than 97% of the State is experiencing Severe Drought conditions (including Riverside County). Visit RanchoWater.com/drought for current drought news, ways to save water, and water regulations.
RebatesIndividual homeowner rebates are available through the Rancho California Water District or the Eastern Municipal Water District (depending on your service provider).
Water Saving TipsVisit the Save Our Water website to find great water saving tips you can use every day.
The City does not review landscape changes for individual homeowners. Please consult with your Homeowners Association (HOA) (if applicable) prior to making alterations. Note that projects that require building permits (for walls, gas lines, electrical work, etc.) will still need to obtain the proper permits through the Building and Safety Department.
Commercial Property Owners & Owner Association Maintained AreasAll commercial property owners and Owner Association Maintained Areas are required to submit landscape modifications to the City. The City is offering an expedited process and reduced fees due to the drought circumstances.
Steps to Starting Your Modification
- Develop typical landscape plans and irrigation plans conforming to the City’s Water Efficiency Ordinance and the City’s approved plant list.
- Complete a Minor Modification (Planning Review Only) Application (PDF) and pay fees. Note: 3 copies of the typical landscape and irrigation are required for the Minor Modification Application as well as a signed and completed application.
- Work with the City’s landscape consultant to address issues prior to construction.
- Upon approval, start installation.
- After installation the City’s landscape consultant will inspect your modifications.
Submittal RequirementsThe submittal requirements for the Minor Modification Application are as follows:
- Fill out the application (PDF) (and make sure the property owner has signed the application).
- Provide 1 typical landscape plan.
- Provide 1 typical irrigation plan.
- Provide 3 sets of the above plans.
- Bring a check with the correct fee amount (please see the above fee section for additional information).
- If you are a new landscape business in Temecula, please make sure to obtain a city business license.
- Plan review will take 5 business days.
- Inspections are scheduled after installation.