Lifeguard Training Courses
COVID-19 Precautions: Physical distancing of 6 feet or more will be maintained when possible but please recognize that some training activities will require closer than 6 feet. Class size will be limited, face coverings will be required unless in the water and temperatures will be checked daily prior to class.
Upon successful completion of this course, participants will be certified for a lifeguard position in California and will receive American Red Cross certifications in:
- Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED (valid 2 years)
- Administering Emergency Oxygen (valid 2 years)
- Bloodborne Pathogens Training (valid 1 year)
- First Aid for Public Safety Personnel-Title 22 (valid 2 years)*
In order to participate in the course, each person must:
- Be 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of this course.
- Successfully complete the Pre-Course Skills Test (see below).
Pre-Course Skills Test
Prospective candidates must pass all pre-course skills test in order to continue in the Lifeguard Training course. The Skills Tests consists of the following:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Complete a timed event: 20-yard swim using front crawl or breast stroke, surface dive to 7-10 feet, retrieve a 10 pound brick and swim 20 yards back to starting point. Must be completed in 1 minute, 40 seconds.
Class Offerings - Dates and Registration
Below are the Lifeguard Course dates. These do not include a Title 22 certification. See separate Title 22 dates below. Title 22 is included in Lifeguard Training registration fee, but you must select your preferred date when registering.
Location: Community Recreation Center (CRC) - 30875 Rancho Vista Rd.
Register: Online. Click here for the online catalog
Activity #: 5020.2
Lifeguard Training ClassesPlease see catalog for class times. The Skills Test date is mandatory for the class selected.
|Session||Class Date||Skills Test Date||Location|
|1||Nov 20-22, 2020||Nov 20 - 3:30 - 4:30 p.m.||CRC|
|2||Jan 2-4, 2021||Dec 18 - 3:30 - 4:30 p.m.||CRC|
|3||Feb 13-15, 2021||Jan 22 - 5:00 - 6:00 p.m.||CRC|
|4||Mar 29-31, 2021||Mar 3 - 3:30 - 4:30 p.m.||CRC|
Title 22 Class
|Session||Title 22 Class Date||Time||Location|
|1||Jan 16-18, 2021||9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.||CRC|
|2||Mar 5-7, 2021||9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.||CRC|
|3||Apr 1-2, 2021||8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.||CRC|
|4||Apr 17-18, 2021||8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.||CRC|
In order to pass the class and receive certifications, participants must:
- Attend and participate in all class sessions.
- Demonstrate competency in all required skills and activities.
- Demonstrate competency in all required final rescue skill scenarios.
- Pass all final written exams with minimum grades of 80%.