Land Development Services
The Land Development Division is responsible to administer the land development program. This includes :
- The administration of and adherence to City and engineering codes, ordinances, policies and procedures
- The National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit for construction activities
- The Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (MS4) permit, ensuring compliance with local, state and federal mandates
In general, the objective of the Land Development Division is to provide excellent customer service to the general public.
The Land Development Division is available on a daily basis, between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., for clients, including developers, engineers, applicants and/or owners, who wish to submit submittals (improvement plans, legal documentation, etc.) for review and approval, and permittees/applicants, who seek to obtain grading, haul route and encroachment permits.
The Land Development Division also welcomes walk-in clients, who typically inquire about land development issues such as:
- Existing easements
- Flood plain information
- Property lines
- Restricted accesses
- Secondary driveways
Some also request copies of various engineering-type documents and public improvement plans such as street and storm drain plans, grading plans, traffic signal plans, etc. (i.e., records requests).
- Prior to start of construction, there shall be a Pre-Construction Meeting with all parties involved to discuss the project, the inspection procedures, utility concerns/coordination, etc.
- At all times, the applicant/permittee shall maintain proper and safe access for efficient inspection of the work by the City Engineer.
- All work within private development and public right-of-way shall be regularly inspected in accordance with the Temecula Municipal Code, the Engineering and Construction Manual and as directed by the City Engineer to ensure compliance with City and engineering standards, codes, ordinances, policies and procedures.
- Certificate of Compliance Application
- Certificate of Parcel Merger Application
- City of Temecula Standard Title Block
- Construction Security Worksheet OFF-Site FY 20-21
- Construction Security Worksheet On-Site FY20-21
- Digital Signature Authorization Example
- Encroachment Permit Application (PDF)
- Final Grade Certification Example
- Grading Permit Application (PDF)
- Haul Route Permit Application (PDF)
- Land Development Submittal Requirements
- Lot Line Adjustment Application
- Obtaining PW Inspectors Clearance - Building Permit
- Obtaining PW Inspectors Clearance - Cert of Occupancy
- Public Dedication Application
- Public Works Fee Schedule FY 20-21 (PDF)
- Rough Grade Certification Example
- Standard General Notes (PDF)
- Water Quality Management Plan (WQMP)
As of March 20, 2020, the City of Temecula Permit Center has moved entirely online. The physical Permit Center is no longer open to the public and will be closed until it is appropriate to re-open in-person services.
Please read our updated submittal instructions below. We appreciate your patience and understanding in advance as we adapt to an online process.
Development Services is the lead department for the Pre-Application process. During this process, applicants will receive a complete and comprehensive list of comments from multiple departments, including Land Development. The purpose of this list is to provide applicants with sufficient information (for “due diligence”) to determine if this is a viable project for them, while adhering to City and engineering standards, codes, ordinances, policies and procedures.
Conditions of Approval
The City also provides applicants with a complete and comprehensive list of Conditions of Approval (COAs) for each project. The COAs are typically categorized as conditions required prior to:
- Issuance of building permit
- Issuance of certificate of occupancy
- Issuance of grading permit
- Map recordation
- Fees and required plans
- Public improvement
- Required easements and access points
- Water quality regulations
All plans for private development (including commercial, industrial and residential developments, tract/parcel maps, legal documentation, etc.) within the City shall be submitted to the Land Development Division for review and approval.
The Division will ensure that the proposed plans are in compliance with the:
- City and engineering standards, codes, policies and procedures
- Project’s COAs
- State and federal regulations (to include water quality practices and the protection of flood hazards)
Refer to the Land Development Submittal Requirements (PDF). All submittal packages must be deemed complete (including payment of fees) prior to City acceptance for review.
The Land Development Division is responsible for collecting the required securities for work within private developments and public rights-of-way. Securities may include:
- Cash/Certificates of Deposit
- Combination of these items
- Letter of Credit
Release of securities shall be in compliance with the Temecula Municipal Code, the associated agreements and the Engineering and Construction Manual.
The Land Development Division issues construction permits including grading, haul route and encroachment permits, which cover work within private development and public rights-of-way.
- Construction work within private developments may require a grading and a haul route permit.
- Projects involving improvements within public right-of-way require an encroachment permit, and a haul route permit, if applicable.