Temporary Use Permits

A Temporary Use Permit (TUP) allows for the temporary utilization of a property for a special, unique, or limited duration use. Temporary Use Permits are divided into two categories, Minor and Major.  The Director of Planning may, at his/her sole discretion, determine whether a temporary use should be classified as major or minor. This determination shall be based upon the similarities and differences with the below listed uses and an assessment of the proposed temporary use's compatibility with the zoning district and surrounding land uses.

TUP Examples

Minor TUP Major
Non-mobile flower or vendor stands Christmas tree, pumpkin, and seasonal agricultural product lots/sales
Public health and safety activities such as emergency clinics or inoculation centers Contractors' construction yards, trailers, coaches, or mobile homes as a temporary residence during construction of a dwelling
Sidewalk sales Fairs, festivals, and concerts
Special lighting exhibits Outdoor temporary swap meets or auctions (limited to 2 events per calendar year, 4 days each)
Outdoor display of sales and merchandise sold on the premises of an established business within any commercial land use district (limited to 2 events per year, 4 days each) Real estate offices and model homes with approved development plans
Vet clinics Large outdoor events (motorcycle rallies, etc.)

Typical TUP Qualities

Minor TUP Major TUP
Can occur on developed property Can occur on on developed or undeveloped properties
Very short time periods Short or longer durations
Little to no impact on adjacent properties  Potential impact on adjacent properties
Minimal potential to impact traffic, health, or public safety Potential to impact traffic, health, or public safety

Approval Process

Temporary Use Permits are normally approved at the administrative (staff) level and do not require a public hearing. However, the Director of Planning may refer matters that are considered to have a special significance or impact to the Planning Commission for consideration.

Applying for a Temporary Use Permit

  1. Complete the Temporary Use Permit Application (PDF). The additional supporting documents and supplemental submittal requirements are explained within the application packet. Please note that applications are required to be submitted at least 30 days prior to the event.
  2. Submit online

Application & Fees

After Application Submission

After the application has been submitted to the Planning Department the assigned planner will review the project. Review of the project takes approximately three weeks. During this time the plans will also be routed to other departments for review.

Comments or Conditions of Approval

After reviewing the application, city staff will either indicate that there are corrections/comments that need to be addressed before the application can be approved, or issue Conditions of Approval for the permit. 

If there are corrections/comments the application can not yet be approved. A comment letter will be mailed to the applicant indicating that corrections or additional information is needed prior to issuing the permit.


If plans need corrections or more information is requested, the applicant must then resubmit the application with the corrections and or requested information. An appointment with the planner is required for all resubmittals. Once the plans are resubmitted the planner will route the resubmitted plans to departments for review.


Once all requirements are met, an approval letter and conditions of approval for the event will be provided to the applicant. 

Separate Permits

Temporary Use Permits (TUPs) may require separate permits from other City of Temecula Departments and/or outside agencies. Please review the following information to determine if additional permits are needed.

Building & Safety Permits

Tents (over 300 square feet), elevated seating, stages, electrical, mechanical, structural, plumbing and generators will require permits from the Building and Safety Department. Visit our Building and Safety Department page for additional permitting information.

Fire Permits

Please contact our Fire Prevention team to determine if permits are required for your event.

Encroachment Permit

Any road closures or right-of-way encroachments in conjunction with an event will require an encroachment permit from the Public Works Department. 

Outside Agency Permits

Health Department (Riverside County)

If you will have food service at your temporary event, the Riverside County Department of Environmental Health can assist you with temporary food permits.

California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC)

If you will be serving alcohol, the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC)  requires specific event permits. A permit signature may also be required by the Temecula Police Department.