Getting Started

What does the Planning Department Review? 

The Planning Department oversees various permits, policies, and regulations for the City of Temecula. This includes:

  • Alcohol (in cooperation with the California Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control)
  • Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs)/Junior Accessory Dwelling Units (JADUs)
  • Conditional Use Permits
  • Commercial Expansions
  • Development Plans
  • Exterior Modifications to Commercial Buildings (including paint, patios, materials, lighting, etc...)
  • Exterior Modifications to Tract Homes (consult with our staff to determine if a Planning Application is required)
  • General Plan Amendments
  • Home Occupation Permits
  • Land Use Approvals 
  • Landscaping Modifications (commercial and owner associations)
  • Live Entertainment
  • Massage Permits
  • Parking
  • Room/Residential Additions
  • Public Findings of Convenience or Necessity (PC or N)
  • Secondary Dwelling Units/Guest Houses
  • Signage
  • Temporary Use Permits
  • Zone Changes
  • And More...

Below you will find our Pre-Application, Planning Applications, and helpful Planning Application Process Guides to assist you with your proposal. If you need additional assistance, please contact our Planner of the Day (POD) at 951-694-6400.


Our Pre-Application process is a informal application (free) that allows projects or proposals to receive feedback from the City of Temecula prior to a formal application. Once submitted, our staff will review your proposal and meet with you in approximately two weeks.

Planning Applications
For more information on our Planning Applications, visit our Planning Application page.