A Building Permit is required for all water heater installations and water heater replacements.
Before You Start
There are specific safety requirements for water heaters that include:
- Bracing Requirements
- Temperature and pressure relief value requirements
- Height/elevation requirements
- Appropriate locations for water heaters
A California Licensed Contractor should be familiar with these requirements.
Hiring a Contractor
Always use a California Licensed Contractor and obtain a minimum of three written estimates. The California State License Board has helpful information on how to hire a contractor, verify license information, and how to review construction contracts. Learn more.
Traditional vs. Tankless
Homeowners now have a choice between a traditional water heater (one with a large tank) and tankless water heaters. It is important to research the pros and cons of each type of system. Homeowners should also understand that when replacing traditional water heaters with a tankless water heater system, there may be additional construction and documentation requirements. Our Tankless Water Heater Handout can help you navigate these special requirements.
Submitting Your Permit
- Complete our Building Permit Application
- Review our Tankless Water Heater Handout (if applicable)
- Register for an online account a TemeculaCA.gov/CSS
- Submit your water heater permit online once registered
- Pay fees
- We will review your submission and provide you with corrections or instructions on issuing your permit