Patio & Decks
Patios and decks may require a building permit depending on orientation to existing structures and distance from the ground. Please check with the Planning Division to determine if separate permits will be required.
ExceptionsBuilding permits are required for decks with the following exception:
- Freestanding decks (decks not connected to a structure), regardless of size, will not require permits if they are not more than 30 inches above adjacent grade.
- Building permits are not required for slabs on grade.
- Setback requirements still apply.
Related Forms & HandoutsTo see forms and documents related to the permit process, visit our Apps, Forms & Handouts page.
Building Plans ReviewBuilding Plans are reviewed to ensure that construction meets minimum life safety requirements. Depending upon the type of project and the complexity of construction, staff or our outside consultant will examine your plans for conformance to these requirements.
Where to Submit PlansSubmit plans to:
Community Development Department
41000 Main Street Temecula, CA. 92590
What to Include
- 1 Building Permit Application (PDF)
- 3 sets of complete building plans
- 1 set of scaled floor plans for the County Assessor
- 2 sets of structural calculations (as applicable)
Plan Check Estimated Timelines
- New Submittals - Takes 10 to 12 working days
- Re-Submittals or Corrections - Will take an additional 5 to 7 business days
- We will call the contact person upon completion
- You will be required to pay a Plan Check Fee at this time. Staff will inform you of the amount at the time you submit your building plans. See our Development Fees page for a user fee schedule.
- Once your plans are approved, you will need to pay for any plan review costs, building permits or other fees that may apply to your project.