Building a New Home
Building a new home begins long before the foundation is poured. There are several steps you need to take to make sure your new home complies with the local codes, which have been adopted by the City Council and incorporated in the City of Temecula Ordinances.
- Before developing a parcel of land, you will need to determine if the parcel is zoned for your desired use or if there are any special development considerations for your project.
- The Planning Division will be able to tell you the zoning of the property or if there are any special considerations for your project.
- If everything complies with local, state, and federal codes, you will need to contact the Public Works Department. Public Works will verify that your project meets grading, public access, and right-of-way requirements. Permits and fees from Public Works may be required.
- After you have approval from Planning and Public Works, our Community Development Team will determine if your project requires any special requirements.
- Special requirements may include County Health Department Approval for septic systems
- If your project requires special handling, our staff will inform you of the requirements and the next steps.
- Review the document.
- After the Planning review process has been completed, building plans can be submitted for review.
- Building plans are reviewed to assure that construction meets minimum life safety requirements. Depending upon the type of project, and the complexity of construction, our staff will examine your plans for conformance to these requirements.
Pay Plan Check FeesAfter the Building Plan Review, you will be required to pay Plan Check Fees. Staff will inform you of the amount at the time you submit your building plans. For more information, see our Development Fee Schedule page.
Development PermitsThe Permit Process ensures that you comply with the codes, which have been adopted by the City Council and incorporated in the City of Temecula Ordinances.
- Once your application and detailed plans are submitted and pre-plan check fees are paid, the Building and Safety Department will review your application.
- You will be notified if any modifications are required.
- At this point, you will need to pay any necessary fees. Once paid and all clearances have been met, your building permits will be issued.