All tobacco retail sales (including vape) are regulated within the City of Temecula. All tobacco sales require a Tobacco Retailers License. If a business operates primarily as a "tobacco shop", an additional Tobacco Shop Permit is required if the City's zoning allows for a Tobacco Shop.
Tobacco permits are divided into two categories:
- Tobacco Retailers License: Required for retailers with a primary business that something other than tobacco.
- Tobacco Shop Permit: Required for retailers who sell tobacco and tobacco products (vape, smokeless tobacco, etc..)
All tobacco establishments must comply with all requirements detailed in Chapter 5.24 of the Temecula Municipal Code.
Before You Submit - Tobacco Shop Permit
- Prospective applicants should review the City of Temecula’s tobacco ordinance prior to applying for a Tobacco Shop Permit.
- Review and complete our Tobacco Shop Permit (incomplete applications will not be accepted)
- Applicants, managers, and operators must complete a Live Scan prior to the submission of this application. Applicants, managers, and operators who have previously submitted a Live Scan do not need to submit a new Live Scan.
Submitting Your Application - Tobacco Shop Permit
- Prior to submitting the application, applicants should verify that they have all of the required paperwork.
- Business License will review the Tobacco Shop Permit once mailed to City of Temecula, Attn: Business License Division, 41000 Main Street, Temecula, CA 92590. If cleared, applications will be routed to the Planning Division.
- Planning will process the Tobacco Shop Permit application (or renewal) and review the application for completeness. Payment will be required.
- Police will review the contents of the application to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the application.
- Planning will continue to process a Tobacco Shop Permit, if approved by the Police Department and all requirements are met.
- Building & Safety/Fire will require tenant improvement permits, or a Non-Construction Certificate of Occupancy for all new locations or changes in ownership. Renewals without any ownership or location changes will not be required to obtain a new occupancy certificate. See below for additional information on separate approvals.
- Business License will review the finalized application. Payment will be required. A copy of the business license and Tobacco Shop will be mailed within a few weeks.
All businesses within the City of Temecula are required to obtain building permits and occupancy for their space. This can be achieved in one of two ways:
- If construction is occurring, a building permit will be required
- If no construction is occurring, a non-construction certificate of occupancy permit will be required (this applies to all ownership, name, and location changes, too).
Note: Tobacco Shops that have change in ownership, name, or location must apply for a new Tobacco Shop Permit.