Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) & Junior Accessory Dwelling Units (JADUs)


Development Standards

Additional Information

What are ADUs/JADUs?

Accessory Dwelling Units (ADUs) are commonly known as granny flats or secondary dwelling units.  ADUs can provide affordable housing options and flexibility for homeowners and families. Junior Accessory Dwelling Units (JADUs) are smaller versions of an ADU that exist within the existing habitable space of an existing single family residence. ADUs/JADUs include cooking facilities to allow for independent living. 

Where can I find requirements for ADUs/JADUs? 

Requirements for ADUs/JADUs are outlined in Chapter 17.23 and Chapter 17.06.070 of the Temecula Municipal Code. Short-term rentals are prohibited within the City of Temecula, which includes ADUs/JADUs.  

Note: If your property is located on septic, please consult with Riverside County Environmental Health Department to determine if your property has adequate capacity for an ADU/JADU.

How do I submit ADUs/JADUs?

The process for submitting an ADU or JADU is dependent on various factors, including the size and location of the ADU/JADU.  Please continue reading to learn more.

Building Permit Only ADUs/JADUs

ADUs/JADUs that meet the submittal requirements outlined in Chapter 17.23.030 of the Temecula Municipal Code may submit directly to the Building and Safety Division (once all minimum submittal requirements are met).  Building permit only ADUs/JADUs are also required to submit a covenant. Covenant templates are available on the top of this page. Once the covenant is complete, please contact the Planning Department at 951-694-6400 to learn how to submit the covenant. Minimum submittal requirements are listed below.

Plans can be submitted online, once the draft covenant is submitted to Planning.

Planning Application ADUs/JADUs

ADUs/JADUs that do not meet the above building permit only requirements must submit an ADU application to the Planning Department.  Once applicants have received Planning approval, they may submit to the Building and Safety Division. Once the application is complete, you may submit online.

What does an ADU cost?

The permit cost for an ADU/JADU depends on multiple factors. This includes:

  • Is the ADU/JADU a building permit only or planning application ADU/JADU?
  • What is the size of the ADU/JADU (ADU/JADUs are exempt from certain impact fees under certain circumstances, as outlined in 17.23.060 of the Temecula Municipal Code)?
  • Building and Safety plan check and inspection fees
  • Fire Sprinkler fees (if applicable)
  • Whether or not grading is required, as determined by the Public Works Department

Once you have more details about your proposed ADU/JADU feel free to contact Building and Safety, Fire, Public Works and Planning to obtain a fee estimate. 

What about other fees?

You should check with the following entities to determine prospective fees:



Eastern Municipal Water DistrictSewer/Water951-928-3777 x 2081

Homeowners Associations*HOA ReviewN/A

Rancho California Water DistrictWater951-296-6900

Riverside County Environmental Health*Septic951-955-8980

SoCal GasNatural Gas1-877-238-0092

Southern California Edison (SCE)Electricity1-800-950-2356

Temecula Valley Unified School DistrictSchool Fees951-506-7915

*If applicable

Additional Questions?

If you have additional questions, please call us at 951-694-6400 and request to speak with the Planner of the Day (POD).